Upon completion, students should be able to safely perform procedures necessary for venipuncture and specimen collections and are eligible to sit for the National Healthcare Association certification exam for phlebotomy.
Required daytime clinical. Certain findings on the criminal background check may prohibit students from attending clinicals. Textbook and study guide required.
Prerequisites and Requirements
(These items are not covered in the course fee)
- Proof of High School Diploma or high school equivalency
- Proof of the following immunizations are due at the time of registration: (two doses or positive titer MMR, Varicella; T/dap; Hep B series; Influenza/Flu (exempt for summer term only); and TB (annual TB test).
- Grey/Pewter scrubs (tops and bottoms) and puncture resistant, closed toe shoes or sneaker (all white or all black)
- Criminal background check and drug screening which will be administered by Castle Branch. Do not do this on your own. Information will be provided at orientation once a student registers for a class.
- CPR certification - only the American Heart Association Basic Life Support is accepted.
- Proof of medical health insurance
Registration: View the Allied Health Checklist and attend an information session to learn how to submit prerequisites and how to register.
This course qualifies for financial assistance.
Upcoming Program Events
PBT-3022A Phlebotomy Experience
This course prepares students to become a phlebotomist. Students who successfully complete classroom requirements will receive (daytime only) clinical. Through coursework and clinical experiences, students learn how to collect blood and other specimens used for diagnostic testing. Emphasis is on ethics, legalities, medical terminology, safety and universal precautions, health care delivery systems, patient relations, anatomy and physiology, and specimen collection. Upon completion, students should be able to safely perform procedures necessary for venipuncture and specimen collections and are eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association certification exam for phlebotomy, at their own expense. Prerequisites: 1) High School Diploma or Equivalent, AND 2) Proof of the following immunizations are due at the time of registration: two doses or positive titer MMR, Varicella, T/dap, Hep B series, Influenza/Flu (exempt for summer only), and TB (annual TB test). Students must submit proof of prerequisites prior to registration. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding the program or registration process.