Advantages of renting at ²Ê¿â±¦µäapp
- You'll pay, on average, less than half for the rented copy as you would for the new copy.
- You'll have access to one of the largest in-store and online rental programs in the country.
- You can still highlight and take notes in the books.
- There's free return shipping if you rent online as a registered user.
- You may be able to use your financial aid. Call the Financial Aid office at 919-536-7209, ext 1503 for more information.
How to rent textbooks
- Visit .
- Go to Textbooks & Course Materials under Books in the top menu.
- Select your program, semester, and department. After you find your department, a course menu will appear. Find your course and then your section, if applicable, and click Submit.
- Select the rental items you need, and add them to your shopping cart.
- You can then either choose to Select another course or Go to Cart by using the buttons under the Required Materials section.
You can checkout either as a guest or with an account. Note that certain options will not be available to you later on, like extending or purchasing a rental, if you checkout as a guest versus with your own account.
During checkout, you will be prompted to provide rental collateral and sign the rental agreement. Completing the rental agreement signifies your commitment to returning your rental book back by the check-in date.
Changing your rental order
You will need an account to extend or purchase your rental.
Extending, purchasing your rental
- Visit , and sign in.
- Go to My Account for your Order History. Click the title you want and then the Select box.
- Check the Extend or Purchase box, and review the Quantity Open box.
- If buying the title: Enter the amount of books you want to buy in the Quantity to Buy box, and then proceed to the next step.
- If extending your rental: Select the term you want to the extend the book until, and enter the amount in the Quantity to Extend box.
- Click the Process Order button and then the Checkout button to complete either process.
Those who purchase their rentals will receive a refund of the rental fee and then will be charged the regular retail price based on whether the book was new or used when it was purchased.
When you drop a class
You can return the book and receive a refund of the rental cost during the normal refund period. The bookstore's will apply. The book will need to be in the same condition as it was when it was rented, and you'll need a copy of your receipt or the packing slip.
Return all rented books to the bookstore by the return date on your receipt or packing slip, if you ordered online. You should have enough time to use your books through final exams. You will receive reminder emails at the end of term to help you remember to bring back your rented books.
Use either method to return your rented books:
- You can pay to ship your rental book back to the bookstore. View the online. Please keep a copy of the tracking number for your reference. You must include your packing slip from your rental account or a piece of paper with your name and phone number used to rent with.
1625 Cooper Street
Durham, NC 27703
- Deliver your rental books to the bookstore. Please do not put books in the library drop box.
Feel free to email the bookstore if you have any questions or concerns.
Return rentals after the due date.
If you don't return your books by your return date, your credit card will be charged a non-return fee as well as a processing fee, and you will then own the book. You can either then keep the book or pursuant to the book buyback policies of the bookstore.
More information on renting textbooks can be found at under the Books menu option in the top toolbar.