Researchers in a lab view and point at a computer screen


Lea Bingham
Assistant Dean, University Transfer
Phillips (Building 3), room 126
919-536-7200, ext. 8004

Public Health Science

University Transfer Options

Students who wish to pursue a bachelor's degree in Public Health Science should complete the Associate in Arts (As) degree which will transfer to all UNC System schools, most North Carolina independent colleges and universities, and most out of state institutions.

The Associate in Science (AS)

The Associate in Science (AS) is intended for students who ultimately wish to complete a baccalaureate science degree at a four-year college or university. The AS curriculum courses focus on courses such as biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, mathematics, or physics.

Course Selection Guide

This course selection guide shown below has been developed by referencing the Baccalaureate Degree plans or the student plans for the Bachelor of Arts degrees at the universities listed below. Note that many other colleges and universities also offer Bachelor of Arts degrees in Business.

  • Eastern Carolina University (ECU) - 
  • UNC-Charlotte (UNCC) - 
  • UNC-Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) - 
  • UNC-Wilmington (UNC-W) - 

Students should print out and save the  for their major and intended transfer university.

Jobs Associated with these Degrees

Health educator, infection control specialist, environmental health specialist, laboratory technician, genetic counselor, health care administrator, emergency management specialists, or, with graduate study, physician, epidemiologist, biostatistician, or public health researcher.

Printable Public Health Science Course Selection Guide (pdf)

General Education – 45 SHC (“Semester Hours of Credit”)
Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) Courses (31-32 SHC)

UGETC courses are courses which are guaranteed to fulfill a general education component at every public university in North Carolina and the private colleges that are signatories to the 2015 Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

English Composition (6 SHC)
ENG 111 Writing & InquiryENG 111ENG 111ENG 111ENG 111
ENG 112 Writing/Research in the Disciplines ENG 112ENG 112ENG 112ENG 112
Humanities/Fine Arts (H/FA) (9 SHC)

Select two courses from at least two disciplines

One course selected from ART 111, 114, 115; COM 231; DRA 111, MUS 110, 112COM 231ART, MUS, or DRAAnyCOM 120 or 231
One course selected from ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 241, ENG 242, PHI 215, PHI 240AnyAnyAnyAny
Social and Behavioral Sciences (S/BS) ( 6 SHC)

Select two courses from at least two disciplines

One course selected from HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 131, or HIS 132HIS 112AnyAnyAny
ECO 251, 252, POL 120; PSY 150, or SOC 210PSY 150PSY 150AnyAny
Mathematics (8 SHC)

Two courses selected from MAT 171, 172, 263, 271, 272.
*Required for the AS degree

First CourseMAT 171MAT 171MAT 171MAT 171
Second CourseMAT 172 or 263*MAT 172 or 263*MAT 172MAT 263*
Natural Science (8 SHC)

Two courses selected from BIO 111 and 112; CHM 151 and 152; PHY 151 and 152 or PHY 251 and PHY 252.

*Required for the AS degree.

First CourseBIO 111BIO 111CHM 151BIO 111
Second CourseBIO 112BIO 112*CHM 152BIO 112*
Additional General Education Transfer Hours (11 SHC)
Foreign Language (3 SHC)

UNCW requires proficiency through the 211 level for a language begun in high school or 112 level for a new language.

ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementECUUNCCUNC-CHUNCW
Foreign Language (3 SHC): Choose from American Sign Language, Arabic, French, German, or Spanish.FL 112
required by
FL 112
required by
FL 211FL 211
Additional Mathematics/Science Courses (8 SHC)
ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementECUUNCCUNC-CHUNCW
First CourseCHM 151MAT 152BIO 111Any
Second CourseCHM 152AnyMAT 271Any
Other Required Hours (15 SHC)

Students should consult their advisor. The listings vary based on the requirements of the selected university and the student's intended major.

College Transfer Success Course (1 SHC)
ʿⱦapp RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
ACA 122 (This course should be taken in the student’s first semester.)ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122
Foreign Language (4-8 SHC)
ʿⱦapp RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
FL 111/181, 112/182: If student has not met the prerequisite for the 211-level of Arabic, French, German, or Spanish. (Prerequisite for FL 111 is DRE 098.)As NeededAs NeededAs NeededAs Needed
Additional Major Course(s)
ʿⱦapp RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
Additional college level course(s) to complete the 15 SHC requirement.BIO 163
HEA 110
MAT 152
SOC 210
COM 120 
COM 231
HEA 110
BIO 250 or 
CHM 251
MAT 272
BIO 168
BIO 169
PED 110

Guaranteed Admissions Pathways

ʿⱦapp has partnered with several universities to develop guaranteed admissions pathways for a seamless transition into their baccalaureate programs for eligible students who complete a ʿⱦapp university transfer degree (AA, AS, AFA, and AE). Students must apply for acceptance into these programs.

View more information about Guaranteed Admissions Pathways and the list of universities. 

Suggested Paths

Short Term

(12 months or less)

Long Term

(More than 12 months)