A group of business people look at a laptop.


Lea Bingham
Assistant Dean, University Transfer
Phillips (Building 3), room 126
919-536-7200, ext. 8004

Public Health Education

University Transfer Options

Students who wish to pursue a bachelor's degree in Public Health Education should complete the Associate in Arts (AA) degree which will transfer to all UNC System schools, most North Carolina independent colleges and universities, and most out of state institutions.

The Associate in Arts (AA)

The Associate in Arts (AA) is intended for students who ultimately wish to complete a baccalaureate arts degree at a four-year college or university. Students in this program develop foundational knowledge particularly business, English, fine arts, foreign languages, history, philosophy, psychology, or sociology.

Course Selection Guide

This course selection guide shown below has been developed by referencing the Baccalaureate Degree plans or the student plans for the Bachelor of Arts degrees at the universities listed below. Note that many other colleges and universities also offer Bachelor of Arts degrees in Business.

  • Eastern Carolina University (ECU) - Public Health B.S., Community Health Concentration
  • North Carolina Central University (NCCU) - Public Health Education B.S.
  • UNC-Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) -  Public Health B.S. with Concentration in Health Policy and Management 
  • UNC-Greensboro (UNC-G) - Public Health Education B.S. (Community Health Education and Health Studies Online)

For other public health degrees, see the Nutrition or Public Health Science Course Selection Guides or specific . 

Printable Public Health Education Course Selection Guide (pdf)

General Education – 45 SHC (“Semester Hours of Credit”)
Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) Courses (31-32 SHC)

UGETC courses are courses which are guaranteed to fulfill a general education component at every public university in North Carolina and the private colleges that are signatories to the 2015 Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

English Composition (6 SHC)
ENG 111 Writing & InquiryENG 111ENG 111ENG 111ENG 111
ENG 112 Writing/Research in the Disciplines ENG 112ENG 112ENG 112ENG 112
Humanities/Fine Arts (H/FA) (9 SHC)

Select three courses from at least two disciplines

One course selected from ART 111, 114, 115; COM 231; DRA 111, MUS 110, 112AnyCOM 231AnyCOM 231
PHI 215 or PHI 240 AnyAnyAnyAny
One course selected from ENG 231, 232, 241, 242AnyAnyAnyAny
Social and Behavioral Sciences (S/BS) (9 SHC)

Select three courses from at least two disciplines

One course selected from HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 131, or HIS 132AnyHIS 112AnyAny
ECO 251, 252, POL 120; PSY 150, or SOC 210PSY 150PSY 150ECO 251PSY 150
One additional course from aboveSOC 210SOC 210ECO 252SOC 210
Mathematics (3-4 SHC)
One Math course selected from MAT 143, 152, 171MAT 171MAT 171MAT 171Any
Natural Science (4 SHC)
One Science course selected from AST 151/A, BIO 110, BIO 111, CHM 151, GEL 111, PHY 110/ABIO 110BIO 111BIO 111BIO 111
Additional General Education Transfer Hours (13-14 SHC)
Foreign Language (3 SHC)
ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
Choose from American Sign Language, Arabic, French, German, or Spanish
FL 112 Must be taken with accompanying lab. Foreign Language must be at 112 level or higher for ʿⱦapp requirements.
FL 112
required by
FL 112FL 211FL 112
Second Mathematics Course (3-4 SHC)
ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
Choose from MAT 143, MAT 152, MAT 171, MAT 172, or MAT 263. Note: There are prerequisites for these courses that must be met.MAT 152MAT 152MAT 152MAT 152
Second Natural Science Course (4 SHC)

CHM 151 is recommended if needed as prerequisite to BIO 168.

ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
Choose from AST 151/151A, AST 152/152A, BIO 110, BIO 111, 112, BIO 140/140A, CHM 131/A, CHM 132, CHM 151, CHM 152, GEL 111, GEL 230, PHY 110/110AAnyBIO 112BIO 112Any

CHM 151 is recommended if needed as prerequisite to BIO 168.

One Additional Course (3-4 SHC)
ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
One additional courseAnyPOL 120MAT 263Any
Other Required Hours (15 SHC)

Students should consult their advisor. The listings vary based on the requirements of the selected university and the student's intended major.

College Transfer Success Course (1 SHC)
ʿⱦapp RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
ACA 122 (This course should be taken in the student’s first semester.)ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122
Foreign Language (0-8 SHC)
ʿⱦapp RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
FL 111/181, 112/182 if needed to meet prerequisitesAs NeededAs NeededAs NeededAs Needed
Additional Major Course(s)
ʿⱦapp RequirementECUNCCUUNC-CHUNCG
Additional college level course(s) to complete the 15 SHC requirement.BIO 155
HEA 110
BIO 155
BIO 163
HEA 110
PED 110
AnyBIO 155
HEA 110

Guaranteed Admissions Pathways

ʿⱦapp has partnered with several universities to develop guaranteed admissions pathways for a seamless transition into their baccalaureate programs for eligible students who complete a ʿⱦapp university transfer degree (AA, AS, AFA, and AE). Students must apply for acceptance into these programs.

View more information about Guaranteed Admissions Pathways and the list of universities. 

Suggested Paths

Short Term

(12 months or less)

Long Term

(More than 12 months)