Researchers in a lab view and point at a computer screen


Lea Bingham
Assistant Dean, University Transfer
Phillips (Building 3), room 126
919-536-7200, ext. 8004

Clinical Research

University Transfer Options

Clinical Researchers use scientific investigation to determine the safety and effectiveness of medications, medical devices, procedures, and treatment protocols for medical use. In a bachelor’s degree program in clinical research, students develop a strong background in science and study government regulations, data management, and management of clinical trials. 

Graduates of clinical research degree programs find careers in pharmaceutical companies, universities, contract research organizations (CROs), and government agencies.

Students have two paths to a bachelor's degree in Clinical Research:

Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Option

Campbell University

For graduates of ʿⱦapp’s Clinical Trials Research Associate or Pharmacy Technology AAS degree programs who wish to advance their career, ʿⱦapp has partnered with program. Campbell will accept up to 64 credits from the Clinical Research Trials Associate and Pharmacy Technology Associate of applied Science degrees. The program requires a minimum of 124 credits to earn the bachelor’s degree and core courses will strengthen students’ skills in managing clinical research trials, biostatistics, scientific writing, compliance, and ethics. Students must earn a C or higher in each course and complete the AAS degree with a minimum 2.0 GPA.

University Transfer Option

The Associate in Science (AS) degree will transfer to all UNC System schools, most North Carolina independent colleges and universities, and most out of state institutions. 

Course Selection Guide

This course selection guide shown below has been developed by referencing the Baccalaureate Degree plans or the student plans for the Bachelor of Science degrees at the universities listed below. 

  • North Carolina Central University (NCCU) - BS in Clinical Research Sciences
  • UNC-Wilmington (UNCW) - BS in Clinical Research

Students should print out and save the for their major and intended transfer university.

Printable Clinical Research Course Selection Guide (pdf)

General Education – 45 SHC (“Semester Hours of Credit”)
Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) Courses (34 SHC)

UGETC courses are courses which are guaranteed to fulfill a general education component at every public university in North Carolina and the private colleges that are signatories to the 2015 Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

English Composition (6 SHC)
ʿⱦapp / UGETC RequirementNCCUUNCW
ENG 111 Writing & InquiryENG 111ENG 111
ENG 112 Writing/Research in the DisciplinesENG 112ENG 112
Humanities/Fine Arts (H/FA) (6 SHC)

Select two courses from separate disciplines

ʿⱦapp / UGETC RequirementNCCUUNCW
One course selected from ART 111, ART 114, ART 115, COM 120, COM 231, DRA 111, MUS 110, MUS 112COM 231Any
One course selected from ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 241, ENG 242, PHI 215, PHI 240PHI 240PHI 240
Social and Behavioral Sciences (S/BS) (6 SHC)

Select two courses from separate disciplines

ʿⱦapp / UGETC RequirementNCCUUNCW
One course selected from HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 131, or HIS 132HIS 112ANY
ECO 251, 252, POL 120; PSY 150, or SOC 210AnyPSY 150
Mathematics (8 SHC)

Select two courses from from MAT 171, 172, 263, 271, 272.

MAT 172 is required for completion of the AS degree, but is not required by UNCW.

ʿⱦapp / UGETC RequirementNCCUUNCW
First CourseMAT 172MAT 171
Second CourseMAT 271MAT 172
Natural Science (8 SHC)

Two courses taken in a sequence selected from BIO 111 and 112; CHM 151 and 152; PHY 151 and 152 or PHY 251 and PHY 252

ʿⱦapp / UGETC RequirementNCCUUNCW
First CourseCHM 151CHM 151
Second CourseCHM 152CHM 152
Additional General Education Transfer Hours (11 SHC)
Foreign Language (3 SHC)

Note: UNCW requires two semesters of a new language, or a third semester of a language begun in high school.

ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementNCCUUNCW
Foreign Language (3 SHC): Choose from American Sign Language, Arabic, French, German, or Spanish. FL 112 Must be taken with accompanying lab. Foreign Language must be at 112 level or higher for ʿⱦapp requirements. FL 112FL 112
Additional Mathematics/Science Courses (8 SHC)
ʿⱦapp Gen Ed RequirementNCCUUNCW
First CourseBIO 111BIO 111
Second CourseBIO 112MAT 152
Other Required Hours (15 SHC)
College Transfer Success Course (1 SHC)
ʿⱦapp RequirementNCCUUNCW
ACA 122 (This course should be taken in the student’s first semester.)ACA 122ACA 122
Foreign Language (0-8 SHC)
ʿⱦapp RequirementNCCUUNCW
FL 111/181, 112/182– (4-8 SHC)As NeededAs Needed
Additional Major Course(s)
ʿⱦapp RequirementNCCUUNCW
Additional college level course(s) to complete the 15 SHC requirement.CHM 251
HEA 110
PED 110
BIO 168
BIO 169

Guaranteed Admissions Pathways

ʿⱦapp has partnered with several universities to develop guaranteed admissions pathways for a seamless transition into their baccalaureate programs for eligible students who complete a ʿⱦapp university transfer degree (AA, AS, AFA, and AE). Students must apply for acceptance into these programs.

View more information about Guaranteed Admissions Pathways and the list of universities. 

Suggested Paths

Short Term

(12 months or less)

Long Term

(More than 12 months)